If you’ve embarked on study in sonography/diagnostic ultrasound and are setting your sights on career opportunities for when you graduate as a diagnostic medical sonographer (DMS), you’ve come to the right place.
This highly-rewarding, mind-stretching, technically-challenging career is in demand and the prospects are ever expanding. With solid job growth predicted over the next three years, in an industry that has been challenged of late and needs dedicated professionals, just like you, upon graduating, you’re poised for success.
As a medical sonographer /sonographer you are trained to not only collect images, take measurements and contribute to a healthcare team that provides patient diagnosis and treatment, but you know how to adapt to technological advancement, and work under pressure. You can work with patients in different stages of life and specialized segments of the population, as well patients across the spectrum.
With these skills, and an ultrasound technologist degree, you can explore any number of the following career opportunities.
- Diagnostic Medical Sonographer – A solid place to begin; you apply your knowledge within hospitals, clinics, outpatient facilities, imaging centres and other similar settings. Your job may include clinical work, administrative duties or you may even join management or become head of a department.
- Research Sonographer – If collaborating with scientists, conducting studies, publishing and presenting findings and contributing to the advancement of the field is your passion, then this is the role for you.
- Applications Specialist – If you’re jazzed by ever-evolving diagnostic imaging technology and are motivated to educate others, you can provide information and support to employees. You may work for an ultrasound equipment vendor and provide demos and help to integrate new equipment in the workplace.
- System Sales – You may find an interest in working within a company that supplies healthcare facilities with equipment that meets their needs. With a passion and understanding of corporate business and sales experience, you can take your in-depth knowledge as a DMS and apply it to empower others.
- Entrepreneur – If you’ve got a head for diagnostic sonography and a heart for taking your business to the varied masses, then entrepreneurship opportunities in this field are vast. You can focus your business on contract work in education, independent sales, or distribution. If you are self motivated and ambitious, have experience in clinical application and have built up a strong network of contacts, there is no limit to where you can take your career.
- Educator – And then again, you may take all that expertise and apply it to preparing the next generation of DMS professionals. In this role you could work in clinical hospital settings, universities, or colleges (just like Anderson), to inspire the learning and career advancement of others.
With diverse opportunities like this, and a booming industry in need of quality, impassioned people to serve and support patients in their healing and health, the time has never been better to explore your DMS career. Check out our Quick Links below for more powerful info.
If we’ve piqued your interest but you’re still exploring your career opportunities, do we have a tool for you. Take the “Anderson College Medical Professional Career Quiz” and match your interests with your options.
If you know this field is for you, but you haven’t yet taken the leap, then explore our Diagnostic Medical Sonography program and book an express appointment with an Admissions Advisor. We’re here to help you every step along the way!
Quick Links to Fuel Your Success!
We want to make sure you have what you need to succeed! Check out these reference links:
- Diagnostic Medical Sonographer Program at Anderson College
- 5 Brilliant Reasons to Become a Diagnostic Medical Sonographer (DMS)
- Ultrasound Saves Lives and So Can You!
- Anderson College Announces Launch of Diagnostic Medical Sonographer Program (newswire.ca)
- Medical Sonographer near Toronto (ON) | Available jobs (jobbank.gc.ca)