Anderson College is one of Canada’s oldest colleges, having opened our first location in 1885. We have trained more than 100,000 students over a 137-year history and have been an empowering partner for students overcoming career challenges and transitioning to the next phase of their lives. With ten locations in Ontario and one in British Columbia, we are recognized for our high-calibre faculty, hands-on, real-life career training and supportive culture.
At Anderson College, we are more than our century-old history, our programs and state-of-the-art facilities; we are a team of caring individuals, deeply committed to helping our students become skillful, confident and in-demand employees.
ABOUT THE ROLE
We are seeking a competent and dedicated Personal Support Worker (PSW) Hybrid, Instructor to join our team at Anderson College’s London location. The ideal candidate will have previous experience teaching adults and be passionate about helping mature students achieve their goals.
RESPONSIBILITIES AND DUTIES
The instructor will guide, coach, and support students to be successful in their healthcare career. The PSW Instructor will be responsible for creating an effective adult learning environment and teaching the curriculum as outlined by the college and in adherence with the NACC competencies.
- Ensure students are being taught following the approved curriculum (training will be provided)
- Foster an environment of cooperation and coordination among instructional staff
- Participate in the student appeal process when required
- Assist with tracking student hours following college procedures
- Attend graduation ceremonies
- Implement and follow the policies and procedures established by the college
- Participate in meetings with staff when required
- Participate in student orientations
- Maintain proper records of student meetings
- Submit monthly reports to the Program Coordinator following Accreditation standards
- Teach students using a systematic plan that consists of lectures, demonstrations, discussion groups, interactive activities, independent and group projects
- Inform students, beforehand, of the basis upon which their performance will be evaluated
- Organize and effectively use classroom time
- Use instruction techniques/methods that recognize and take into account the needs and learning capacities of students
- Modify techniques during instruction in response to the needs of the students
- Assist students in developing efficient learning skills and work habits
- Ensure all course objectives and modules are taught according to the program schedules
- Implement course outlines and daily breakdowns
- Modify course outlines considering the needs of the students
- Establish an appropriate atmosphere in the classroom which is conducive to learning
- Maintain fair, firm, and consistent discipline with the students
- Regularly monitor student progress and adjust courses accordingly
- Prepare teaching materials and outlines for courses
- Prepare, administer, and mark tests and papers to evaluate students’ progress
- Provide individualized tutorial or remedial instruction to students who require it
- Supervise independent or group projects
- Base the evaluation of students on the guidelines established by the College
- Ensure that the evaluation of students is appropriate
- Keep accurate and complete records of student performance
- Ensure all evaluation records are regularly updated on the college’s electronic server
- Prepare final examinations following guidelines established on the course outline
- Provide timely feedback to students regarding academic progress
- Supervise students at their respective practicum locations.
- Maintain complete and accurate documentation in areas of responsibility
- Maintain professional registration through your governing body
- Other duties as assigned by Supervisor
Qualifications and Experience
- RPN or RN with 4 years of experience
- Registered with CNO in good standing
- Experience teaching adults is considered an asset
Knowledge and Skills
- Familiarity with Private Career Colleges and dealing with adult students will be an asset
- Knowing Private Career Colleges Act will be an asset
- Microsoft Office Suite
- Google Mail, Docs, and Calendar
- Moodle, Brightspace/D2L (training will be provided)
Applications from people with disabilities are welcomed and encouraged. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process.
NOTE: Anderson College of Health, Business & Technology requires all community members, including employees and visitors who attend our campuses be fully vaccinated against COVID-19, subject to medical exemptions, in accordance with all applicable laws and regulations. The College’s vaccine policy is integral to our ongoing commitment to health and safety. Offers of employment require that you comply with the COVID-19 Vaccination Mandate by providing proof of vaccination prior to your start date.