Every year thousands of foreign workers bring their vital skills and passion for building a new life in Canada to our shores. Their contributions fill gaps in the labour market, drive our economy and growth and enrich our vibrant, multicultural community. Until now however, barriers have existed in the types of study programs, and thus potential careers, these foreign nationals could pursue.
On June 27th, this changed. The Honourable Sean Fraser, Minister of Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship, announced a new temporary measure that removes the limit on the length of the study programs that temporary foreign workers can enrol in without an extended study permit.
What This Means for You, as a Foreign Worker
- Starting immediately, your timeframe for being able to study while on a work permit has changed from 6 months to being able to enrol in a part-time or full-time program.
- You are able to expand your job prospects and pursue a career in a field you are passionate about.
- This can increase your potential to apply for and transition to permanent residence!
The Details You Need to Know
- This is a 3-year temporary measure, allowing you in this timeframe, to study full time or part time while your work permit is valid OR until the expiration of the policy.
- This temporary measure applies to those who currently hold a valid work permit OR who have submitted an application for work-permit renewal on or before June 7/23 and are authorized to work.
- If you do select a study program that exceeds the timeframe of this temporary solution, you may still need to apply for a study permit.
This means, you want to begin researching and determining your career path and
potential now, to maximize your program study time.
*All the details on the official announcement can be found HERE – “New measure to benefit foreign workers looking to improve their skills”.
The Amazing Benefits for YOU and for Our Country!
- We need passionate professionals like you to address critical labour shortages in various positions and fields. Now you can work and study in the program that best suits your career and life goals.
- You can now improve your education, receive additional training, and can upskill or validate your foreign credentials through relevant, longer, programs.
- Note that – Candidates of Express Entry may be able to increase their CRS score by, for example, achieving a higher level of education or by gaining qualifying work experience during part-time studies.
- This immigration measure allows you to have the career and life you’ve imagined in this country, and immeasurably assists our employers, workers, and our economy as we add your expertise to the mix of what Canada has to offer.
Who is Anderson College and How We Can Help?
- Since opening our doors in 1885, we’ve been partner to more than 100,000 students as they’ve overcome career challenges and transitioned to the next phase of their lives.
- We know just how stressful it can be for those establishing a career in a new country. Our students come to us from all corners of the globe. We celebrate your individuality and provide a caring and compassionate community environment and leading-edge education to support you in creating a better life for you and your family.
- Our ultimate goal is to ensure our graduates are skillful, confident and in demand. We do this by offering programs that meet current market needs, giving our students the competitive edge.
- Our instructors are industry experts, delivering theoretical and practical, hands-on, training in our state-of-the-art facilities. Many of our programs also include real-world training during a practicum with potential employers.
- We are proud to serve a diverse range of learners with a rich variety of over 30 program offerings in healthcare, business, law, technology, and video production.
- To ensure you have every advantage, we also offer FREE English classes to help you learn or enhance your language skills and engage in community connection!
What Programs May Be for YOU
We have over 30 programs at Anderson College for you to choose from. Some of those in particular demand or that may be relevant to you are – (to name just a few):
- Bridging Program for Internationally Trained Medical Laboratory Technologists
- Medical Laboratory Technician / Medical Laboratory Technician-Assistant
- Accounting, Business and Supply Chain & Logistics
- Information Technology Technician
- Massage and Medical Esthetician
- Medical Office Administration
- Personal Support Worker
- And many more.
Insights from students, just like you:
Read our popular blog post linking you to student/graduate stories – Starting Over in Canada. Inspiring Student Advice for Newcomers.
“As an immigrant who moved to Canada, I came to realize that I was passionate about learning and providing therapeutic care. Anderson College has amazing instructors who thoroughly guide students, ensuring they receive the knowledge and practical skills required for real life.
“Anderson College has an amazingly diverse community to which I feel I belong. I fundamentally believe that Anderson gave me the hope and unwavering support that was necessary for me to reach my full potential.
“From working in the fast-food industry to now working in one of the most prestigious hospitals in Ontario, it all started with Anderson College.”
~ Maria Claudette I. – Newcomer and Medical Laboratory Technician Graduate
We’re here to help you navigate your options. You can take the “Anderson College Career Training Readiness Quiz” to see how your interests align with career and program options OR you can just contact us directly and an Admissions Advisor will be thrilled to speak with you.
Take advantage of this extended study authorization now, to make the most of the time you have, and book a virtual appointment with us today!